Saturday Pizza & Movie Night is a very loved family tradition and one we rarely miss! Sometimes we take the quick options, but we often make out own!
This simple dough recipe is the same one I grew up on – I just swap white flour for Spelt flour. I remember helping my mom make pizza for Hockey Night in Canada, growing up. So much fun passing on this tradition to our littles! Watching them get in there and enjoy the process as much as my sisters and I did!!
makes: 2 medium size crusts
2 tsp active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
mix with wooden spoon and set aside for 5-10 minutes.
In a large bowl mix:
3 cups Spelt Flour
dash of sea salt
2 tbs olive oil
- add water/yeast mixture to the flour, salt and oil
- mix & knead with hands – continue for 5-10 min – more kneading the better!
- in the bowl, form the dough into a ball. Pour approximately 1 tbs olive oil on top, use fingers to spread over entire surface of the dough.
- Cover with a tea towel & leave to rise on your counter for 1-2 hrs.
- Remove the dough from the bowl. Knead & roll on a floured surface. Place on a pan layered with parchment paper.
- Spread tomato paste all over the pizza. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning & (optional) Nutritional yeast.
- Bake at 400 for 10-15 min. Remove & top with all your favourite toppings. Place back in oven on broil setting until golden. Enjoy!!
From my home to yours,