I have been playing around with Date Sugar in a few recipes & I have to say, I’m a fan! As far as sugars go, this is a great option. It is ground, dried dates – the the processing is quite low! There are 12g of Sugar per 1/4 cup which is also quite amazing! It does not melt or dissolve the same as even coconut sugar does, so that does need to be taken into account. As far as taste goes, it gets a 10/10 from me!
I loved the taste and texture Date Sugar brought to these ginger molasses cookies. Just the right amount of sweet & kept them so soft and chewy. These are gluten, dairy & egg free! A similar taste to my Christmas Gingerbread, but these are definitely not roll-able! They are a much softer, chewier cookie. If you’re looking to roll & cut shapes, check out my Christmas Gingerbread Cookies https://helpyourself.blog/2018/12/19/gingerbread-cookies/
Hope you enjoy!
1/4 cup coconut oil (melted & room temp)
1/4 cup apple sauce
1/3 cup molasses
1 tbs apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup ground flax seed
1 3/4 cup Buckwheat + 1 3/4 cup Oat Flour
1/2 cup date sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
dash of sea salt
- Mix wet & dry ingredients separate bowls.
- add the wet to dry & combine with a fork or (I recommend) using your hands. they will keep the coconut oil warm for easy mixing & rolling
- scoop approx 1 tbs amount into hand & roll into ball.
- place on pan & press down, slightly
- bake for 8-10 min at 350 degrees.
- remove from oven & allow them to cool.
- store in an airtight container. They do freeze well!
From my home to yours,