Quinoa, that ancient grain we all know and love! I promise, you’ll love it even more in cake form!!
I have been baking this cake for years. If you have ever been to a birthday party for one of our kids, chances are you’ve tried it in cake or cupcake form! It is a family favourite & I am so excited to share it with you!
Quinoa Chocolate Cake
- 1/3 cup dairy free milk
- 2 eggs or 3 flax eggs
- 2 cups of cooked Quinoa
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup apple sauce
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 cup cocoa
- if using a flax egg, whisk 3 tbs of ground flax seeds with 7.5 tbs of water in a small bowl. set aside & allow to set for 5 min.
- add eggs or flax eggs, milk, sea salt, baking soda, powder & apple cider vinegar to a food processor – blend till it looks bubbly & frothy.
- add Quinoa, oil, apple sauce & coconut sugar. Continue blending & stopping to scrape down sides every minute. Continue for approximately 5 minutes or until it looks like a smooth batter.
- pour batter into a mixing bowl – scrape with a spatula to get all the batter!
- add & mix in cocoa. pour into prepared baking pan*
- bake at 350 F for 40 minutes
* makes 1 round cake pan, 1 dozen cup cakes or 8×8 pan.
- in a saucepan on low heat melt: – 1.5 cups of dark chocolate or dairy free chocolate chips
- with: -3/4 cup oat milk (works well with coconut & almond but I love the mild flavour & creaminess of oat)
- once melted & combined place in fridge to cool & harden for 2-4 hrs (I have rushed it in freezer for 30 min, storing every 10 min!)
- once cooled & hardened scrape in a bowl (I use my Kitchen Aid stand mixer) & mix & whip until it peaks
- if too thick add more milk 1 Tbs at a time